Back in the olden days when I was in school math was not like it is today. Back then it did not mater if we understood why 5x5=25, as long as we knew it did. For the most part math was a way to work on memorizing. Today the important thing in math is to know why and how instead of the actual answer which is the opposite of they way I was taught.
Today, NCTM standards make the process of learning math thorough. Students need to learn to solve an algorithm and also need to understand and be able to explain their answers. Students today are helped to round and calculate math in there heads. When I was taught math, I was required to have scratch paper to show my work even if it was easy enough to do in my head. After all, the importance when I was young was to know the proper steps to take.
No comments:
Post a Comment